Monday, February 27, 2017

Week 7 - Normal Distributions

This week we will be continuing with the statistics notes with a discussion of normal distributions.  You will need your calculators and the z-score table from the end of the notes in class with you every day.  The Math is Fun website has a nice interactive Standard Normal Distribution and introduction to the Standard Normal Distribution.  I recommend that you play around with this to get a better understanding of what we are discussing in class.

There is a review worksheet over the standard normal distribution linked on the right side of the blog.  We will start on these problems in class on Monday; you should complete them for the start of Wednesday's class.

Challenge Problem: (Due Monday, March 6) Scores on a standardized test were normally distributed with mean \[\mu = 70\] and standard deviation \[\sigma=11.\]  What must you score to be in the top 5% of scores?


7 comments:

  1. I find that the Math is fun website to be very helpful with the questions that was given in class Monday 27. It has helped me better understand what is need to be done to find the answers. -McKenzie R

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying the topics that we are working on in class. One thing that I find interesting is how normal distribution always follows the 68-95-99.7 rule. So, if you use these numbers it is possible to figure out any percent in a graph.
    Hillary Russell

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find this part of math was much easier to understand then the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that this topic is a lot harder than the first topic we learned about in class. However, that being said, I think that the video and the math is fun website are really helping me to better understand what is going on in class and helping me to better understand the topic as a whole. This was especially helpful since I had to miss two class periods due to being sick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy the challenge in finding statistics. It is taking a little bit to understand the different symbols and what they represent as well as the formulas, but it is fun to solve the problems. I honestly don't seeing myself applying this to any future use but it is fun to learn.
    Amanda C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think statistics is much harder than the graph stuff from the first section, although it does help to draw out the questions we are being asked. The probability questions with permutation and combination, slot diagrams, and the 68-95-99.7 rule are easier for me to understand because I can visualize the problem before trying to work through it. I think when you can visualize math in real life rather than just knowing a bunch of formulas, it makes math more relate-able and easier to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. (There's no Z score section on the blog so I figured that this was the closest topic to comment on.) Although we had went over Z-scores and the formula to find it I don't understand what the confidence level is or what the critical value z means.
    There was a question on the exam that asked us to find the z-score from an 86% confidence level and I had left it blank since I didn't know how to compute it.

    ReplyDelete