Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Week 5 - Counting and Probability

This week we will finish up methods of counting and start with probability.  You'll need to apply your methods of counting to many of the probability problems, so make sure that you've got the counting methods down this week.  Make sure that you are bringing your calculator to class every day.

On Monday, we counted the number of 5 card hands that can be dealt from a standard 52 card deck.  In one of my sections, I had a student ask about counting cards.  The podcast This American Life has a fun episode about counting cards for Blackjack.  You can listen to it here.

Challenge Problem (Due Monday, February 20): Option 1: In the game of Euchre, 5 cards are dealt from a deck consisting of the 9, 10, J, Q, K, A of each of the four suits.  Find the probability of getting a hand containing three of a kind.

Option 2: Listen to the podcast linked above and write a 2-3 paragraph summary of the podcast.

(You may only choose one option to complete.)

2 comments:

  1. The counting methods are pretty easy to figure out and do, probability is a little bit harder. I find that I am either trying to over think it, or I am trying to do it backwards. Either way I am glad we use calculators instead of doing it all by hand. - Rebecca W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I have never done probability and statistics problems I find it all interesting. I have learned that if a person is good at playing cards such as poker, black jack, texas holdem then counting and probability might be fun for them. Counting and probability relates to real life situations that everyone uses at some point in their life.

    ReplyDelete